Even though this week has been stressful in lots of ways, with family health scares, my car breaking down and just not enough hours in the day at home or at work there are always things that have made me smile.
Things that have made me glad this week, in no particular order:
- The NHS – I know they tend to get a bad press, but we are so lucky to have such a fantastic health service that we quite often just take for granted. Mr Totsy's dad was taken ill this week and the NHS were absolutely amazing immediately. It was very worrying for everyone but he was seen very quickly, they ran tests and ruled out lots of things straight away (which was a relief) and whilst they didn't quite get to the bottom of the problem, they have scheduled lots more tests and left everyone feeling as reassured as possible under the circumstances. My mum has also been having tests for stomach problems and again the NHS have been thorough, helpful and reassuring. So many amazing individuals make up the NHS and they really do go the extra mile. We are constantly being told (mainly by the media) that the NHS is 'crippled' and failing, and we hear it so often that it's easy to believe. The NHS may not be perfect and we have all heard a horror story, but on the whole the NHS is pretty amazing, and we should be grateful to have it.
- Jess, my first born – since she moved out we have spent much less time together than I would like, but it was her birthday this week so we went out for a lovely meal to celebrate. Though I have accepted that she is a grown up and is busy carving out her own life it feels harsh that we sometimes go a few weeks without seeing each other. She has recently moved in with her boyfriend and seems very settled, and it was really nice to spend a very happy evening together.
- Seeing my niece and nephew – I don't get to see my sister and her family as often as I would like as they live a couple of hours away but last weekend my niece and nephew had a cross country event not far from us so we were able to go and see them. It was so lovely spending a relaxed sunny afternoon in the park, watching the kids' events and just getting chance to catch up, have a coffee and watch the kids playing together between races. Even though the cousins don't see each other all the time, they are still close, which is lovely.
- Tinker at school – it was Parents Evening last night, her very first one. It was great to hear that she is doing well, making friends and holding her own. I do think the academic expectations for 4 and 5 year olds are scary nowadays, and definitely exceed what was expected of my bigger kids, but I guess that's 'progress'. Fortunately Tinker, following in the footsteps of her older siblings, loves learning to read, writing her letters and numbers, starting to spell and learn maths so she is enjoying it all and soaking it up rather than feeling overwhelmed.
- Nathan – he is graduating on Monday, so Totsy, him and me spent a lovely day together yesterday shopping for a new suit for him. I am trying to make the most of him while he is here, as he is moving to London in January and then leisurely shopping trips together will be few and far between.
- Autumn – the leaves are really turning now, a bit later than usual this year, and everywhere looks so pretty. Walking to school this morning Tinker was fascinated by the vibrant reds and oranges on the leaves.
- Running – I started running this week, only two runs so far and only a couple of miles each time but hey, I had to start somewhere. I do find it difficult to find the time, but I feel so much better when I'm running regularly, so will be making the effort to run at least twice a week.
- French plaits – I am really rubbish with hair, I have never managed any elaborate hairstyles but for Tinker's school photos this week I managed French plaits, which stayed in all day (and were only a tiny bit wonky!) It maybe a very minor victory, but I was proud of myself all the same!